Casting blessings

You know you’re a writer when, as you’re being hoisted to the door of a regional jet on a cherry-picker-type lift, you think “well, this is going to make a good blog post.”  And even in the absence of the usual indicators—wealth, fame, status—you know you’re a VIP when the doctor directing John Hopkins Hospital emergency room that day gives you his e-mail address and the general manager of the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront sends you to the airport in a Lincoln Town car and asks the security officer to go along.  This post is a thank-you note to the staff of John Hopkins Hospital emergency room.

It all started on a beautiful Thursday morning, as I took the short walk between the Charles St. and Light St. offices of Lutheran World Relief. For no apparent reason, on a perfectly flat sidewalk, my ankle turned over and I fell…splat.

I was sure I had just sprained my ankle and proceeded to ice and elevate it. By noon I knew I needed to get back to the hotel. (Thank you, Devin and Stephanie.)

Denise, the (head?) housekeeper, came to check on the room. “You need to go to the hospital and have that checked,” she said with loving authority. Others had said the same thing, when I thought I knew better.

Fast forward: Sometime after 3 p.m., I limped into John Hopkins emergency room (JH-ER). I was embarrassed to be there for something as simple as a sprained ankle. I was grateful that I have health insurance that allows that sort of decision.

From start to finish, everyone I encountered at JH-ER was efficient, professional and kind. The intake nurse (Andy) and the ER secretary (name?) who worked with him were especially wonderful. “You’re getting upset,” said Andy, concerned. “Why?” “Because everyone is being so nice,” I said, tearing up.

The first X-rays showed the fracture. With that evidence, an orthopaedic consult was ordered. While waiting I met a cast (pun intended) of health professionals, including Dr. Ben, beginning his third year of medical school, his resident supervisor (name?), and the most wonderful Dr. Rodney Omron, who was the ER doc in charge.

Dr. Omron was pleased to learn that, in my case, the ER system worked even better than it should. I didn’t have to wait for his assessment before X-rays and an Orthopaedic consult. “I will be keeping tabs on you,” he said. “Don’t hesitate to call for me if you need anything.”

Additional x-rays were ordered to confirm appropriate treatment (splint-cast or surgery). It was decided that I should wait for Dr. Greg Osgood, an orthopaedic surgeon, to do the additional (stress) x-rays. During the wait there were opportunities to receive the caring kindness of more staff (Heather in X-ray, Jennifer my nurse, and the “magazine man,” who had an official function unrelated to getting me an issue of People magazine).

The "Big Joey"

Dr. Osgood and an orthopaedic physician’s assistant applied my “big joey” knee-high, two-splint cast.

Nurse Jennifer demonstrated crutch walking. Before I took a turn, I asked to go to the restroom. In the process I knew I was about to faint. Somehow I found myself back on the gurney with Dr. Omron at my side. “You’re a narcotic light weight,” he said, ordering a bag of IV fluids for me. The lowest-dose pill of OxyCottin, which I had taken an hour before, had caused my blood pressure to precipitously drop.

An hour or two later, David, whose badge noted BSN so I think he’s a nurse, accompanied me out the door. He called the cab for me, waited for the cab to arrive, and accompanied me on the slow walk on crutches to the taxi.

“Does everyone get this kind of VIP treatment?” I asked. “Not everyone thinks so,” David replied.

Sue Edison-Swift (5/7/2011)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Casting blessings

  1. Lisa Belodoff says:

    Sending you wishes for a speedy recovery!

  2. sue says:

    Thanks, Lisa! How is your recovery going?

  3. Oh my goodness, Sue, that is some cast. Thanks for sharing this story in your usual graceful and humorous manner. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. xoxoxo

  4. Linda Janssen Gjere says:

    So glad that you are recovering well enough to blog!

  5. Pingback: Hotel blessings | Sue Edison-Swift

  6. Barbara Fletcher says:

    How long does the cast have to stay on? Hope you get well soon.

    • sue says:

      If all goes well, the Joey stays on for two weeks and then I move into a boot for 4–6 weeks. I think having a boot means I can put some weight on the foot, which would help.

      How are you holding up? I had a bad sprain some years back. I couldn’t figure out crutches then, either, but had good success using a cane. Good luck to you!

  7. Barbara Fletcher says:

    You named your cast? Cool. This sprain isn’t too terrible. Icing it every few hours to take the swelling down and wearing an ankle brace. Had a much worse one 10 years ago. I was lucky compared to you.

    • sue says:

      “Big Joey” is what the orthopedist doc called my two-splint cast.

      Have you seen a doc for your sprain? Don’t want to wrap an ankle too tight or swelling becomes an issue. The latest idea is to take Tylenol instead of Motrin (ibuprofen) because the same thing that reduces swelling will inhibit healing.

  8. Linda PB says:

    Sue, I love your opening line. Probably because I’ve been there too — turning a calamity into a great piece of writing. That’s what writers do!

  9. Kathleen West says:

    Oh Sue,
    I am so VERY sorry about your ankle accident! Was away from the office at the St. Luke’s GMG event and BethAnn told me about your broken ankle! At the very least, you seemed to have excellent care from the hospital–one of the best in the US!! I am praying for your courage and ongoing fortitute. Will you be able to continue on the LWR contract? RSVP

  10. Pingback: Yippie Skippy | Sue Edison-Swift

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *